Saturday, February 1, 2014

Things I've Learned Along the Way

Throughout my journey, I have talked to a ton of people and learned a great deal of information.  If I could narrow it down to the three most important things, this is what they would be:


  1. The scale is not an accurate measure of progress.   I admit, I have a dip of OCD in me (my close friends might say that's an understatement).  So when it comes to the scale, well I have been known to be a bit obsessive.  There were times that I would weigh myself numerous times a day.  My friends, this is not a healthy way to be and can be very damaging to one's confidence.  Just to give you an idea of how inaccurate the scale is ~ in the past year I have only lost about ten pounds and have recently put back on a few when I started weight training.  However, I have gone down two (almost three) jeans sizes.  The way your clothes fit is the best measurement of all.
  2. Everyone is different ~ what works for one person may not necessarily work for you.  Over the last few years, I have talked to so many people who told me what they thought was the "best" way to lose weight and/or be healthy.  (Weight Watchers, South Beach, Paleo, No Carbs, Low Carbs, Clean Eating and really I could go on and on).  What I have found is that some of these things worked for me and some didn't.  It all depends on the person and the activity they are doing.  For example, if I'm training for a half marathon, clearly I need carbs or I'll never make it to the finish line.  My advice (and hey - you had to know I was going to give some right?) is to listen to what everyone says and then do what's right for you.  I am constantly tweaking my diet and exercise and finding out how different things affect me.  There is no "one best way" for everyone.
  3. You've got to love the exercise you're doing or you won't stick with it.   Let's face it, when it comes to things we don't like, we try and avoid them like the plague.  If you don't like it, then you'll find any excuse not to do it.  But if you find something you truly enjoy, then you'll make every effort to do it.  For me, I LOVE weight training ~ I HATE burpees.  Therefore, you will see me lift weights several times a week.  You will not however see me doing any burpees.

No comments:

Post a Comment